Saturday, August 16, 2008

Then, Now, and Always, The King




I talked with our cousin, Betty Taylor Thompson, yesterday. She had been back only a few days from a trip with her daughter Cindy to see her grandson, Cindy's son, "graduate" from boot camp. Betty said she was the only person there, as far as she could see, who dressed in red, white and blue and carried an American flag. She said that most of the boys in Travis's group were awaiting deployment and didn't yet know where they were going. But Travis has received his orders to ship out to Afghanistan in November.


She is extremely fearful for him, and said she has a feeling that he won't come back. I didn't tell her about Jed's friend's son who was killed in Afghanistan recently.


Tonight I watched a few minutes of Fox News's interview with John McCain. He had a lot of moving stories to tell. I agreed with most of his stated positions on issues that were posed, so I turned it off before I lost that "loving" feeling.



Books read in June, 1998:

So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish, by ?? (Funny, at least the first few pages.)
The Sword in the Stone, by T.H. White (Best in June)

3 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

We went to a retirement party for one of the Progressive Farmer editors last week. We learned that the son of one of our friends from PF is going to Afghanistan in the fall too. She seems fine with it. I'd be immobile with fear. I'll pray for Betty Joyce's grandson.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh P.S., I recorded the Fox interview with McCain and Obama. Vann was watching Olympics. I'm going to watch it this afternoon.

JD Atlanta said...

So Long, etc., was written by Douglas Adams, who also wrote the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I've started reading War Story again, but I'm sure I'll have it done before I see you again (probably next week).

Jed