Monday, December 8, 2008

"Nothing gold can stay..."

On November 28, I wrote about my dream of Robert Frost. One of these days I'm going to make an album of my strange, funny, crazy dreams. This is the way RF looked in the dream, only he was grinning all the time, and one of the poems I like so much.











Another of my favorite poems is too long to remember all of it. It's "Directive," and it's worth reading. "Let a guide direct you,/ Who only has at heart your getting lost."
*
And the last stanza of "Two Tramps in Mud Time" is a good motto to live by, if you're looking for one.

"...yield who will to their separation,
My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes."
*
I think the cruellest thing old age can do to a body is to make him forget things like this that he remembers.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I've always loved Nothing Gold Can Stay.