Thursday, April 1, 2010

L'apres-midi d'un auteur

This morning I've packed a book and an eBay package, and I have to go to the P.O. So I'll have to write in the afternoon. I also scraped skin off two fingers on a new-fangled tape dispenser with little teeth like a shark--not all the skin, just a little bit.

Starting to write a new book or story is like starting a journey, with all the aggravating minutiae connected with travel. Like deciding what to pack and knowing you'll regret it, getting to the airport without going the wrong way on their one-way streets, being sure to lock your car before leaving it.

Yesterday or the day before, I finished reading Teresa Thorne's book, Noah's Wife. It really is a good book, but I wish these Alabama authors who write about people's wives would learn the changes of the moon. They seem to think the "new" moon looks big and round and shiny, whereas you really can't see the new moon at all. Thorne even, in one place, puts horns on the "new" moon.

And I wonder how soon we'll see an Alabama author's book entitled "Beowulf's Wife" or "Stonewall Jackson's Wife."

5 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

John Henry's wife?

Joanne Cage said...

"...the dress she wore was red;
She went down the track and didn't come back
When they told her that John Henry was dead. Lawd, Lawd."
I wrote more than a thousand words today, and didn't mention the new moon.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I caught that new moon thing in something I read recently. It wasn't Noah's Wife since I haven't read it yet. Can't remember what it was. I want to read Beowulf's Wife. I hope somebody writes that one soon.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Somebody was doing something "by the light of the new moon." Could it have been Nancy Swimmer?

Joanne Cage said...

I think it was in Shutter Island, and At Play in the Fields of the Lord both. I'm pretty sure it was in Ahab's Wife, but it's been a long time since I read that.