Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tomorrow's another day to worry about...

One bright spot: Jed will be here today and the next day and the next day--to encourage, accompany, and revive me--before, during, and after my Wednesday check-up appointment. I'd hate to be a doctor and have people dread seeing me. Some people don't dread it, I understand, old people who don't get to see many people. I'm glad I'm not old and shut in. Thanks, Lord.

*
Sunday afternoon was just wonderful! We ate chicken, salads, barbecue, yams and cake. I drank a little wine to break my long Lenten abstinence. Reed was a very entertaining host, told lots of stories or incidents or something about bugs, showed the purple flowers he and Ma planted. "Quel age as-tu?" I asked him, and he said, "I'm four" (after Ma translated). About the bunny cake, he looked at me like, "You've got to be kidding me."

I'm afraid this is going to be the lost week, writingwise. Maybe Friday I'll be recovered enough to write a little. I hope. -- No, Friday's book club day, so I'll have to think about Gee's Bend.
*
The other day Mable sent me a link to a wonderful song, "Going Home," to the music of Anton Dvorak's symphony. I posted it in my Music Links (in this blog's left column). They played the music during President Ford's funeral, and if I can find a cd or dvd of it, I want to arrange to have the song played at mine, if I should ever have one. I'm sure Gerry wouldn't mind my copying. He was a lovely man, though as a president, opinions vary.

*
I remember these
flowers from my childhood, when Daddy and Alfred built the house in Irondale for Iris and Alfred. Granny lived with them, and she had banks of these tiny pink flowers in the spring and summer. I don't know the name of them, but they're some kind of clover or sorrel-related plant. I've had them at lots of my houses and apartment, all descended from Granny's plants. Here, they died in the flower bed, but survive in the lawn. I guess getting cut down every 2 weeks just makes them more stubborn and spreading.

7 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

Sorry, I've already claimed "Going Home" for MY funeral! It's one of several ... I think I better write out and publish my Funereal Program. Going Home, Here Comes the Sun (by the Beatles) and All the Way Up to Heaven (by Guster)are the only ones I can remember right now, but there are more.

Once upon a time, Buffy and I drove India to Kentucky to visit the home-folks, and on the way back to Alabama, we stopped off to see Abe Lincoln's childhood home in Kentucky. Just as we arrived and started walking around outside, a visiting choir from either Sweden or Switzerland or somewhere began singing the Going Home song, and it was so beautiful. I've been in love with that song ever since.

Joanne Cage said...

I guess it wouldn't be worth it to plan a double funeral. Maybe I'll choose Morning Has Broken, or something else.

Ramey Channell said...

Oh, yeah. Morning Has Broken, by Cat Stevens. that's one of mine!

Trois

Joanne Cage said...

My stars! You're going to have a long funeral if they have to play/sing all those.

I just won't have one, if you've already claimed all the music.

Ramey Channell said...

We'll think of something else for yours. What about Give My Regards to Broadway and Happy Trails?

Trois

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

We'll just have an all-day sanging for Ramey's funeral. But let's have dinner up off the ground. I can't get down there anymore.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh, I want "Sad Cafe" by the Eagles played at mine.