Saturday, April 24, 2010

Searching for an old science fiction story

The setting was the Arecibo radio telescope observatory in Peru, or a place like it. The narrator was a lonely man, director of the project, whose wife didn't want to be there. One of the quotations in the story was from Dante: "In the middle of the journey of our life, I found myself in a dark wood..." The author must not have been one of the now-better-known or remembered ones, because I can't remember who it was. I thought Ross Rocklynne or Thomas Disch, but I can't find it by either of them.

It was published in one of the pulp SF magazines that were popular in the 1950s to 1970s, before Asimov's series.

It's one of the best SF stories I've ever read. Does anyone else remember it?

***

Later: I found it! It's a novella, The Listeners, by James Gunn. I ordered it on "Kindle for PC."

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

It sounds familiar. I think I read it at some point. If you ever find the book Moira or Maura that Pat and I read, let me know. I've searched and searched.