Thursday, July 28, 2011

The offspring of Croupy Ben Lee

Mr. Ben Lee was called "Croupy Ben" because while he was talking, his voice would shift back and forth between tenor and bass. In my novel, there's a story about him, in which he was trapped under a wagon, calling for help, and a passerby thought there were two people under the wagon. My grandma remembered Mr. Ben telling his children's names in that same up-and-down sing-song: "Eskew, Oskew, Bank Hugh and Reevie, and the baby calls itself Naintsy." Ten or so years ago, I used this idea to write an Alabama Limerick:

A family living at Dancy
named all of their boys something fancy;
they had Noel, Patrice,
Gabriel and Maurice,
and the baby girl called herself Nancy.

When Maw Maw would tell the names, she would laugh like anything. As a child, I thought it was really bad of the Lees to put so much thought into their boys' names, and apparently to leave the little girl to think of a name for herself. I guess it used to be a man's world, for sure.

I wish I could have conveyed the unfairness of it all, when I wrote the limerick.

5 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I love it the way it is. Or you try:

"but the girl just called herself Nancy?"

No, not quite - it's a tough one!

Deb said...

I love the limerick!
You know, my ex always wanted the girls names to have 8 letters in them: Christie, Jennifer, Ashleigh, Rebeccah. So, when my last surprised me after a 10-year hiatus, I said we weren't going to have a girl with 8 letters again! My last two, Ashleigh and Rebeccah, were reading 'Little House on the Prairie', so we named the new baby Laura Rose, after Laura Ingalls and her daughter Rose! My ex never forgave me for that!

Joanne Cage said...

Deb: If you'll email me your address again, I'll send you a copy of the "One-act Play" I wrote about the naming of my children.

Joanne Cage said...

P.S.: I love all your girls' names!

Ramey Channell said...

I love the story about Croupy Ben Lee. You've got to let me read your book again; I honestly don't think Croupy B.L. was in there when I read it.

I think Suzanne Lee, in my high school class and a very funny, beautiful girl, told me she was related to Old Croupy Ben Lee. I was incredulous. It was like saying you're related to Rumpelstiltskin or something. I hope wherever she is, Suzanne reads this and lets us know if it's true!