Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sturm und drang

I watched a few raindrops making big polka-dots on the deck. This went on for about 5 minutes, and I decided maybe if I came inside and quit watching, it would really rain. But now that I'm inside, it seems to have quit altogether.If it would really rain, I might go out there and do an Andy Dufresne stretch to welcome it.

*

A little later came a storm that knocked out the lights and warped the trees around and blew limbs down in the yard. Needless to say, I didn't go out and frolic in it. The power was out for a couple of hours, long enough for me to thank God and Benjamin Franklin and them for electricity, when the lights came on again.

In the next few days, we're replacing a couple of doors and installing a sump pump and a gutter drain. After that, sometime this summer or fall, I want to get a lot of painting done, inside and out. I know the outside is more important and should be done first, but I'll really be glad when the inside walls are fresh, and maybe some color other than dirty white--and brown, as in my bedroom! Steve said he could use a white stain on the ceiling beams in the living room, so they wouldn't seem so prominent, like they're about to fall on one's head.

I've been trying to read an old book at Gutenberg on the computer, and my eyes are about out.

3 comments:

Deb said...

We had a storm like that on Monday-twisted the trees right out of the ground! I say it was a tornado, but the weather people are saying no. I do wish it would rain more, just to cool it down. Need to pack my things in the garage, and it's like an oven in there!
Had to look up the word 'drang'. Could not remember what it meant-only lived in Germany 10 years! Maybe it's this old brain of mine!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs....

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

My power was out for a couple of hours too after the big storm. Raining so hard, I couldn't see the houses across the street.

Ramey Channell said...

We have tree limbs down all over the neighborhood, and our lights were off for a couple of hours. Glad there was no big damage. Saw a couple of trees down.