Saturday, July 9, 2011

Writing On and On

Thursday I wrote the first short story using my Writer's Toolbox, which gives suggested ideas and structure. I expect all of the early ones will be 1,000-words-or-less short-shorts. I've never been any good at writing short stories, so I'm creeping into it slowly.

Yesterday I worked some more on my book of poems, and started an appendix for Big Baby. I'm reading through the novel and making a note of anything I think needs to be explained or enlarged upon. These may wind up as additions in the body of the manuscript, instead of an appendix. A map of the Cedar Grove/Dover area could be endpapers or a frontispiece. Since there are so many generations of people in the family, I'm thinking of a genealogical chart as well. I know, I know: it should be written well enough that you don't have any trouble keeping up with the characters.

Jed flew north yesterday for a vacation trip to Chicago.

6 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love your idea for map endpapers.

Joanne Cage said...

Wraatin' is maah laaf, y'all. That an' the theatuh.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

You're a hoot, sister. Bless your heart.

Deb said...

Those are wonderful ideas for your book. I love 'fold-outs' in books. I think it gives you a better idea of what the writer is trying to put in your mind. How is your poetry book coming along? And is that new roof done yet? I think that this summer everyone is either making home re-dos or moving! I cannot wait to get into my new home. It will be the last thing left to do to start a new life! Divorce can be a real bummer! Anyway, I wish I knew your son Jed. I don't live but an hour or so away from Chicago. Could have gone up and said hi! Hope you're having a nice beginning to a new week.
Hugs....

Ramey Channell said...

From whence came the Writer's Toolbox? Or, where you got dat Writer's Toolbox from? I may want one, myself.
I'd like to read your manuscript again, if you ever take a break from revising. (PS - I wanted a map in my book, and you see where that got me.) But I don't mean to be negative about possibilities!

Joanne Cage said...

Jed gave me the toolbox for my birthday or something, a couple of years ago. It has a booklet and a bunch of idea-provoking cards and things, sort of like my "Title box" that I made myself. In fact, I use the title box with the toolbox--pick a title from that box, a first sentence from the toolbox, etc. It's mainly useful for writing short stories, I think. But a short story could turn into a novel if you're lucky.