Friday, November 1, 2013

Discourse, Or Rant?

I started to call it "Doggone People Who Don't Have Children or, having them, won't let them go trick-or-treating." I exquisitely understand why people won't let their children go running around after dark by themselves or in packs. But my one lone little tiny trick-or-treater last night was accompanied by her daddy. Now, was that too hard?

I also understand that most of the people in my neighborhood are nearly as old as I am, or are young singles looking for cheap old houses, thus don't have children hanging around. Why don't some of these old folks adopt their grandchildren, like civilized people? If I had grandchildren, -- no, I wouldn't adopt them. But I might let them visit once in a while.

But across the street from me lives a young couple who have three doorstep kids, Tiny, Little and Middle-Size. And one of the finest dogs I've ever seen. When they moved into that house several years ago, I visited and introduced and invited, but have the couple ever been here? No. Have the kids ever crossed the street? No. The dog was here once, and I treated him like a king. But the people, never. I know they know that I'm friendly, because I wave every time I see them playing in their yard or toting in their groceries.

I've a good notion to take this basket of candy across the street and strew it all around their property. That'll show 'em.


No comments: