Saturday, January 8, 2011

Impossible Blue

Snow, huh? Am I scared? Of snow?

I got through the 1993 blizzard when the house attached to my apartment annex burned up because the residents had fled and left the thermostat turned up and the gas on or something.

I mean to go in a few minutes and stock up on the four basic food groups--coffee, creamer, cat food and cigarettes. Plus some Great Divide ice cream, milk and--and--bread, I guess, although one shelf of the freezer is stuffed with bread, buns, croissants, all kinds of bread. I've got bowls of soup in the freezer, and in the pantry cans of soup, veggies, chili and different kinds of fruit. If I'm snowed in for a day or two, maybe I'll hit a few more licks at the novel.

Thursday when I went to the courthouse, I was almost distracted on the way home by the most beautiful sight I have ever seen in my life except my babies' faces. The sky was the most perfect Tiffany-box blue--even softer and bluer than that. With little snow-white puffs of cloud scattered about. If a painter could achieve that impossible blue, he wouldn't have to paint anything else to please me.

P.S. The Tracker is a joy to drive.

4 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Glad that you are well stocked up for the coming Ice Age! It's nice here, but the news says it's coming.

I'm still looking for a replacement for the Tracker. Today I'll drive a couple of candidates. But I'm in no hurry - my car is also a fairly nice driving machine.

Speaking of True Grit - One of the highlights of both movies was (were?) the scene(s) with Col. Stonehill. Strouther Martin played him in '69, and a character actor named Dakin Matthews. And it was also one of the best scenes in the book.

Stay warm!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I saw that sky.
If you would like to sit out the storm at my house, come on down. I have gas logs in the fireplace and a generator if I can figure out how to work it. And two kinds of chili. And wine.
We saw True Grit yesterday. one of the best movies of all time.
That guy who played Stonehill sounded just like the Grizzly man (forget his name) in Jeremiah Johnson. Couldn't be him though. I think he'd be too old.
Stay warm. And no fooling, the invitation to come down her is sincere.

JD Atlanta said...

I think the Jeremiah Johnson guy was Grandpa in the Waltons. And you're right - he would have to be about 145 by now!

Joanne Cage said...

Will Geer