Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mo' Snow

I went to the bank and the store a few minutes ago, and it was snowing lightly. The roads were pretty much OK. But now it's snowing heavily, and it looks beautiful coming down. I was most careful walking up and down the driveway to check the mail. Thanks to my sink disposal, my trash cart only contains a couple of bags, so I didn't push it up to the curb.

Last Thursday when I went to the courthouse, I came out of the parking deck in the middle of the block. I walked down to a traffic light instead of up, and the other side of the street was much steeper. An icy wind was blowing in my face, and I was thoroughly winded by the time I climbed to the CH and the top of the marble stairs. So since then, I've cut down on the cigarettes and made an effort to exercise more. But the next time I go down there, I'll remember to walk up to the traffic light so I can walk down to the courthouse.

At the store today, I looked for a Mrs. Smith's apple and raisin pie like the one we had Christmas, but there wasn't one. That was the best pie I've ever had in my life, I think. But today I just bought a plain apple pie, which is good enough in a pinch.

Yesterday I bound the sides of my Una quilt, but the sewing machine messed up when I tried to sew on the top and bottom bindings. So I'll work on that this afternoon. I've got a frozen lasagna baking in the oven for my late lunch.

TCM or one of those channels has shown the old "True Grit" movie several times lately. Watching it, I decided that the new one really is better, saving John Wayne over Jeff Bridges. I like the Big Lebowski/Starman a lot, but in the movie he tended to mumble at strategic moments. It goes without saying that Matt Damon is a real actor and a much better Texas ranger than Glen Campbell.

***
I was surprised Thursday to notice that the courthouse steps are not really marble. They're either granite or some kind of composite rock. I guess I was remembering the steps at the capitol in Montgomery, that I believe are real white Alabama marble.

5 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I agree about True Grit. Nothing against the original movie. But the directors, the actors, the script all seemed to work better this time.

Stay warm!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh darn! I never got around to the apple/raisin pie. I don't know why.
And I've missed the John Wayne True Grit every time it has been on tv. I want to see it because the only part I can remember is the "fill your hand" part. But I bet I'll agree that the new one is better. I never cared too much for John Wayne myself. He acted a little fakey to me.
I've heard other people say that Jeff mumbled and they had a hard time understanding some of the lines. Andd being the half-deaf person I am, I was afraid I'd have trouble too--but I didn't. Maybe I'm learning to read lips.
My favorite line in the movies: "Well, that didn't pan out." --Rooster

JD Atlanta said...

I've heard about the mumbling thing with Jeff Bridges, but I never noticed it in any of his movies.

Favorite line(s) - the entire "drinking from a hoofprint" scene. I loved how La Boeuf was genuinely hurt and amazed that anyone could question Texan honor. Matt Damon did his best work right there.

Ramey Channell said...

Love True Grit, love Jeff Bridges! I'm with you, Suze; my favorite line from the movie is "Well, that didn't pan out."

Found out it's Iris Dement singing "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms" at the end.

Now I want the Coen brothers to produce the film adaptation of Sweet Music on Moonlight Ridge.

Joanne Cage said...

I meant he mumbled in True Grit, not all the time. He was very clear in Starman--"I can't get no satisfaction."