Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sea-Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick, and the wind's song, and the white sails' shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking...

John Masefield
England's Poet Laureate 1930-1967
*
John Masefield was not a great poet, but he understood what makes great poetry. It has been many years since I read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. I have never completely read Dante's Divine Comedy or Aeschylus's great trilogy. I have always thought that Macbeth is the greatest of Shakespeare's plays. These are the four great poets Masefield discussed in his bound lecture, Poetry, which I re-read today after many years. The man really understood why we write, and how we succeed or fall short.
**
I'm hungry for baked sweet potatoes, and I happen to have some in the veg. drawer. Hope they're good and not pale and stringy.
***
The sweet potatoes baked up perfectly. I ate one, and thought I'd save the other to make something by a recipe. But then I ate that one, too.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Wish I had sweet potato.

I think I'm coming down with a cold. So tomorrow I'm going to watch it snow, and get on the computer only if I feel like it!

Joanne Cage said...

Wish you had been here to eat that second (largest) SP. I sort of had the heartburn after eating both of them.

Take care of yourself. Banish that old bad cold. Drink juice or whiskey or something. On second thought, just juice. Maybe a little wine.

Ramey Channell said...

Love John Masefield.
Love sweet potatoes.
If I lived on the bayou,
I'd love alligatoes.