Saturday, January 22, 2011

Something There Is That Doesn't Love a Writer

Or doesn't want me to be one. One such something is Mo the Cat. Well, if it isn't one damn' thing after another, it's something else. I strove all week to have a day when I didn't have something urgent to do, so I could have a whole day to write. It came down to Friday, which is hardly ever a good day to get anything done. I paid some bills and a few other such nuisances, then was going to the P.O. or somewhere, and both--BOTH cars had dead batteries.

I got the Murray's guy to come and jump-start the cars. He said the cold weather could make batteries lose the charge, but I asked him to check the truck to see if I was leaving something turned on, and sure enough, the light switch behind the rear-view mirror was turned on.

I backed the Lincoln out and left it running in the driveway while I drove the Tracker around on my errands. Then I drove the Lincoln to the Chevron to put air in the tires, so I could drive it to Moody to the tire store. But the Friday, school bus and going-home-traffic was so heavy, I came on back to the house.

I turned on the computer and the doorbell rang. With that dreadful "What Now!" feeling, I answered the door, but it was just a bunch of school kids wanting a contribution for something or other. After I dealt with that, it occurred to me that I was hungry. (So was Mo, but he's always hungry.)

After I ate something--leftover mushroom pie, but that's another story--I made that pie Wednesday, and had 2 dishwasher loads to clean up after it. Anyway, I got mad and finished binding my Una quilt; I even sewed a hanging tube on the back of it. The camera hasn't yet healed itself; you'll just have to imagine a 1/4-inch dark red binding around it.

This took what hours remained of the day, pulling out all that tangled thread and dealing with the (expletive deleted) sewing machine, and a thimble that wouldn't stay on my finger.

And then I didn't sleep well or long. So that's what I plan to do today. I ought to take the Lincoln and get those tires fixed, but when didn't I ought to do something I don't feel like doing?

I am proud to have the quilt finished and off my mind.

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

The quilt looks good. Glad to hear that there is nothing unfixable about the Tracker. I'lll look for the title before I come over next time, and bring you the papers I have on the Lincoln so you can get a new title.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Congrats on your UFO bust. One of the prettiest and most interesting quilts ever.
I have lots of ought-tos also. Always do.