Friday, January 28, 2011

A Quilt Called Q

Taking a break from working on the leaf quilt. If that thing ever gets done, I'll call it the Main Quilt that I've ever made, even more tedious (and ultimately satisfying) than my old Broken Sash quilt, that has over 6,000 tiny pieces.

But I expect the Bear and Geese (at right) will still be the prettiest; it was easy and simple and a joy to make. But that was when I was young and nimble-fingered. My fingers are still nimble at typing; it's holding those tiny quilting needles that has got so tedious.

I remember Betty Lou telling about how she and Bobbie used to finish a quilt in a day. Maw Maw made quilt tops in squares cut from worn-out men's clothing, flannel underwear, or anything that was warm and available. Bobbie and Betty Lou would hang one from the ceiling, take huge old needles and coarse thread like crochet yarn, and just sit there and stab in inch-long stitches until it was done in a few hours. 

I've got to start preparing for Sunday dinner. It's a little late, but sometime this evening or tomorrow, I'll get enthusiastic about it.
***

3 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Guess what? Even though my memory is notoriously limited, I can remember how Mawmaw's quilts felt and smelled and looked. Dark, scratch, heavy. But I loved them.

Ramey Channell said...

That Bear and Geese quilt is beautiful! Great photo too.

Ramey Channell said...

Also, we had at least one wool quilt that Maw Maw made that was tied with red strings instead of being quilted. It was very heavy and scratchy!